My Approach to Real Lasting Change
Modern neuroscience has confirmed what sages and philosophers have known all along: at the most basic level, we are wired and coded to thrive. This inherent drive toward wholeness, however gets covered over by all of life’s experiences… from infancy to the present moment. Your brain, nervous system and body reflect all you have become by forming patterns and strategies that get enacted without having to engage your conscious awareness.
This means whatever you do on a consistent basis, gets wired in and forms enduring patterns. These well-established patterns create automatic response-sets that kick in automatically, especially when you’re emotionally triggered. It is this process that creates the sense of being stuck with unwanted thoughts, beliefs, attitudes and behaviors. However, once conscious, the same process can also strengthen patterns that align with your deeper vitality.
CWS is an approach that goes beyond traditional talk therapy to address your concerns AND your inherent resources at the pattern level. It is a systematic step-wise method that directly targets HOW you create your world so you can begin to make conscious choices that work.
- Observing with integrity (clearly seeing what you’re up to, without judgment, criticism or comparison)
- Inquiring with curiosity (sustained empathic questioning into the deeper structure of experience)
- Clarifying with precision (exposing the false self and discovering the true self)
- Practicing with intention (experimenting, testing, experiencing and deepening what works)
- Acting congruently (aligning body, mind and spirit with the emerging self)
These strategies are interdependent; focusing on one, activates the others. They are strategies that zero in on the way you organize your life and structure your experience. They go behind the scenes, directly to the “HOW” of what you think, say, feel and do. They illuminate where you get stuck and where you are out of alignment so you can make conscious adjustments and get on with business of living YOUR life.
CWS incorporates the following simple action steps for training the mind and rewiring the brain:
Research indicates that therapeutic work progresses when both therapist and client share similar views about how change happens. In essence, we all operate from an internalized understanding of human nature and the change process. Whether conscious or unconscious, this internal sense underlies our thoughts, behavior and attitude; and for a therapist, it underlies the way the therapy is practiced. My goal in this section is to communicate my understanding of change by laying out the groundwork of ChangeWork Stratagies in order to provide you with information you may need to feel comfortable, confident and secure about working with me.
Although the application of these skills varies with each individual, the skills themselves are simple, yet profoundly life altering. They involve paying close attention to what you’re already doing by developing awareness, attention, deep listening and the specific practices that train the mind and expand your experience of what is possible. This is fundamentally a holistic approach and includes the many and varied levels of your being: the physical body, mind, brain, relationships, work and spirituality.
CWS Building Skills
- Experiencing the observing mind
- Contacting the present moment
- Becoming mindful during ordinary activities
- Separating what can from what can’t be controlled
- Separating thoughts from feelings
- Tracking changing emotional tone
- Reframing pain and discomfort
- Refraining from habitual responses
- Understanding complex reality
- Developing tolerance under fire
- Giving up the struggle for control
- Cultivating radical acceptance, willingness & patience
- Communicating with clarity, empathy and compassion
- Watering the good seeds, nourishing the spirit and doing what works
CWS Resource Skills
- Building sensory acuity
- Understanding and using self-hypnosis and visualization
- Developing daily practices and aspirations
- Incorporating holistic nourishment
- Creating positive intention
- Cultivating creative potential, innate intelligence and a sense of the possible
CWS Action Skills
- Accountability and responsibility
- Getting support
- Identifying values, passion and direction
- Committing to positive action
- Following through
- Working with setbacks and obstacles
- Following bliss